As I said in my last post, caffeine can be your ally and help you improve the appearance of cellulite.
Maybe you have already noticed, but one of the main ingredients in most anti-cellulite creams is caffeine. Why is that? If caffeine causes cellulite, why would they put it in the cream?
Well as I explained in my last post, drinking coffee makes your body produce more acid, which in turn, causes water retention. BUT when you apply caffeine directly to your skin it has a different effect. One that is actually beneficial in the fight against the “orange-peel”. The caffeine does many things, but in a nutshell, it takes the fluid out of fat cells which will make your skin will look smoother.
When looking for an anti-cellulite cream, you may also find that instead of caffeine, the ingredient is called Coffee Berry, which is the actual coffee plant from where caffeine is extracted. Since caffeine is not only present in coffee, another main ingredient in anti-cellulite creams is Green Tea.
You can also create your own anti-cellulite treatment at home using ground coffee. Yes, the coffee left in your coffee machine, the one you think is useless and throw away. Ground coffee still contains caffeine, even after it has been brewed, BUT you will have to use the grounds QUICKLY after making coffee. If you can, try making espresso because the more time the coffee is in contact with hot water, the less caffeine there is.
Here’s how to make the anti-cellulite treatment at home:
1. Right after you brew your coffee, save the warm coffee grounds.
2. Mix them with a moisturizing body lotion, almond oil, or coconut oil.
3. Use your hands to rub the grounds against your thighs, or other affected areas, in a circular motion. Always follow the natural blood flow, which is upwards (towards the heart).
4. For a greater effect you can leave the coffee grounds on your body. Use plastic wrap to cover the areas, but DO NOT make it too tight. The last thing you want to do is to stop the blood circulation.
5. Lastly, take a warm bath and enjoy your soft, silky skin.
Please take note that this is a temporary fix and to really get the fat out of your cells, there is no better cure than a healthy lifestyle, including a well-balanced diet with plenty of water and regular exercise.
Extra tip: I have personally tried the Sveltyness patches and they have worked on me. I did not have any side effects, but as with every treatment, the effect was temporary.
Photography: Yazmin Yeara
Author: Jenny Wendlandt
Editor: Jenny Perusek